In this article we will go through Holvi's bookkeeping functionalities and the best ways to use Holvi's income and expense categories. We also cover your contacts register and your account's reporting capabilities.
Table of contents
- Bookkeeping overview
- Creating income and expense categories
- Setting up budgeting periods
- Home and feed views
Budgets are created into income categories listed in the blue Income categories under your Bookkeeping menu.
To create a new budget, click Add Category... from the right of the Income categories list. (see above picture)
Define a name for the category and a budget (estimation is okay as well) and click create.
The income category is now visible in the category list, available to use in Invoicing and Online Store. You can create as many income categories as you like and they are updated automatically when the income traffic in your Holvi starts to happen!
Following the same procedure you can define budgeted Expense categories in the orange Expenses tab and use them to organise and keep track your expenses (see picture below)!
Budgeting periods in general
Budgeting periods are your way to show only relevant and up-to-date information in your income and expense categories. You can use budgeting periods to
- Hide the transactions from your previous fiscal year/period and start fresh with clean slate
- View transactions from your previous budget periods in category archives
- Also the Profit calculation is updated to match your current budgeting period as it compares the realised parts of your income and expense categories
See here the full instructions on setting up your budgeting periods.
Home and Feed views
The Holvi feed view is your main source of information when it comes to your account’s payment traffic. You can access the feed by clicking the Holvi logo in the top centre of your account view. Here’s a summary of what the feed consists of:
- Feed is your home view where you can search for payment events with payers first and last name or email
- Feed shows only money movements (transactions that have happened)
- You can get more information of a specific event by clicking the feed entry
- The feed includes an additional notifications area that shows actionable things such as expense claim received, a store product was deleted and similar events
On top of the feed view you see the efficient search tool that you can use to do keyword searches or filtering in many ways.
You can look for a specific payment with the payer’s first name, last name or email. More options are available by clicking the magnifying glass icon next to the search field. This you can use to show only paid invoices, expense claims paid on a specific date and so on.
If you want to look for other events than payment events you should open the notifications area. This opens by clicking the ●●● button on top of the search field. The notification area shows actionable things such as expense claim received, a store product was deleted and similar events.
Holvi's built in Reports give you many handy tools that you can freely use as you like to. Holvi provides reports in forms of
- Account statement: a time based list of every transaction (cash based), Freely customisable dates, Excel/PDF format
- Holvi service fee receipt: what you have paid as Holvi's service fees (cash based). Freely customisable dates, PDF format
Then under Bookkeeping reports you have
- Income statement: Total incomes, expenses and their sum as Net Income (cash based). Freely customisable dates, Excel/PDF format
- Budget report: a breakdown of your income and expense categories, what transactions they withhold and what are the realised amounts (cash based), Excel format
- Invoicing (accrual and cash based): a continuous list of your invoices. Include the issue, due and payment dates and VAT. Freely customisable dates, Excel format
- Accounting journal: A comprehensive chronological list of every transaction in your account. Including date, type, VAT%, category and other important information (accrual/cash based). Freely customisable dates, Excel format
- General Ledger: A breakdown of your income and expense categories and the transactions they contain. Including date, type, VAT%, category and other important information (cash based). Freely customisable dates, Excel format
- VAT report (if your account is VAT liable): a list of transactions that include VAT organised by their VAT% (cash based). Freely customisable dates, Excel/PDF format
You also have Download that you can use to easily export documents, receipts and attachments out of Holvi straight to your Dropbox account. You can either export everything from all time or select individual account areas and dates.
Remember that Holvi does not provided automated bookkeeping but you can freely use Holvi's reports to make bookkeeping an easier task!
See the below example image to locate your Holvi reports.
Your customer contacts are gathered in the contacts window. Here you can find all your contacts based on Online Store, Invoicing and Outbound Payments. You may add contacts by hand as well.
Pro tip! Send an invoice through your contacts menu to speed up your invoice writing. Receiver contact information comes pre filled if you pick a contact first.
- Search for a contact
- Click the contact on the list
- From top right click Send > Invoice