Noticed an unauthorised transaction on your credit card? As a rule of thumb, always lock your card immediately and report any unauthorised use of your credit card directly to Holvi without delay.
Follow these steps if you notice an unauthorised transaction:
- Lock your card and stop using it immediately
To lock your card at Holvi.com, go to Account settings > Payment card and select your card, then go to Options > Lock. Or lock it in-app by going to your Profile, tapping your card and then Lock.
- Let us know about your suspicions
- If you'd like more info about a payment and don’t think it's fraud-related, or you're just not 100% what it's for, send us a general support request. We'll look into it for you and let you know if you should open a dispute.
- If you know or suspect the payment is fraudulent / unauthorised please fill in this form. Important: You must submit one form per transaction.
- If you suspect fraud, please also report the transaction to the police
- Keep an eye on your inbox
We'll send you an email if we have any additional questions, so please check your email inbox and spam folder – just in case.
FAQ on unauthorised transactions
How do I lock my card?
Follow the instructions above or view a video tutorial here.
Why did you lock my card?
While we understand that locking the card can be an inconvenience, it's absolutely necessary to prevent further unauthorised use and to protect your funds. As per the terms and conditions for your Mastercard, we need to lock it in case you file a dispute.
If it has been established that your card details are compromised we have to destroy your card. You can order a new card in that case.
Why do I need to fill in one form per transaction? Even if I file multiple disputes for the same merchant?
This is due to how Mastercard processes card payment disputes. Even if they payments are from the same merchant you need to still fill in one form for each transaction.
How long does it take to get my money back?
The dispute process can take several weeks. Please also note that filing a dispute is not a guarantee that you will get your money back.
The dispute process is complex and regulated. We must report transactions to Mastercard and for that gather sufficient information and evidence. We might also be required to wait a certain period of time (e.g. the merchant must have sufficient time to ship a product).
How can I speed up the dispute process?
- Take initiative and try contacting the merchant to resolve the issue. Please send us screenshots of the results of that communication as soon as possible
- Describe clearly and honestly what happened and send us any relevant information, e.g. the bill for the ordered product or service, a screenshot of your communication with the merchant, etc.
- Reply promptly and clearly to our questions and emails
I don't recognise a transaction/merchant, what do I do?
Lock your card and contact us so we can see if we can give more information or if a payment dispute is needed.
I have a disagreement with a merchant but it's not fraud. What do I do?
You always need to try to solve the disagreement with the merchant first. This is also usually faster than going through the dispute process.
There is a reservation on my card but the transaction was cancelled. Do I need to file a dispute?
The time a reservation stays active is defined by the merchant, this can range from 24 hours to 30 days. If the merchant cancels the transaction the reservation is usually not released immediately but stays active until the original reservation period expires. Reservations need to be lifted by the merchant and Holvi cannot influence the reservation period or lift.
Unless you suspect the merchant to be involved in fraud you don't need to contact us.
I disputed a transaction and it was refunded. Now you deducted it again. Why?
This can be for one of two reasons:
a) The merchant refunded the transaction themselves. In that case we deduct the amount we previously refunded. Please check your transactions to see if you received a refund from the merchant.
b) The merchant provided proof that shows that the dispute is invalid. We will inform you about this via email.
Why do you not refund an authorisation on my card?
An authorised transactions is only reserved. The money has not left your account yet and therefore cannot be refunded. A reservations are usually locked for 24 hours to 30 days (the period is defined by the merchant) and is released automatically if the merchant cancels the transaction.
What can I do to keep my card and account information safe?
- Check your transactions and account statement regularly for any unknown, suspicious or unauthorised card transactions.
- Never share your card details with anyone, nor give your card to someone else to use.
- Beware of phishing attempts, this can be emails asking for your full card number, the security number (CVV) from the back and other card details. Never click any links or download attachments from such emails.
- Holvi will never send you emails asking for your password or complete card details, nor the CVV.
- Only enter your card details online on trusted and secured sides. One feature of a secure site is that it has https in its URL and a little lock symbol next to the URL address field.