Apple Pay is designed with your security and privacy in mind, making it a simpler and more secure way to pay than using your physical credit and debit cards.
Transactions using Apple Pay are secure, as your payment information is fully encrypted and stored on secure Apple servers. Apple Pay uses security features built into the hardware and software of your device to help protect your transactions.
#️⃣ What is a ‘device account number’, and how does it add security?
A device account number is a type of temporary alias for your actual account number. It’s created when you add your Holvi card to your Wallet using the Holvi or the Apple Wallet app.
When you use Apple Pay, after you’ve authenticated your transaction, the Secure Element in your Apple device provides your device account number and a dynamic, transaction-specific security code to the shop’s point of sale terminal, along with additional information needed to complete the transaction.
Before a merchant approves the payment, Holvi verifies your payment information by checking the dynamic security code to make sure it’s unique and tied to your device.
To find your device account number, follow these steps:
- Open the Wallet app > tap your Holvi card > tap the ‘i’ / info icon (lower-right) > tap the Info tab > view the device account number
On Apple Watch:
- On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Wallet & Apple Pay > tap your Holvi card > view the device account number
💬 Payment notifications keep you up to date
When you pay using Holvi and Apple Pay, you’ll get a notification confirming each payment. This helps you detect suspicious activity sooner. This notifications tells you:
- The merchant’s name
- The payment or refund amount
🔒 Screen lock & small payments
To use Apple Pay, you’ll need a passcode set on your device and, optionally, Face ID or Touch ID. You can use a simple passcode, or set a more complex passcode for more security.
To make most purchases, you’ll need to unlock your phone. You won't need to unlock your phone for certain small payments (€50 in Finland and Germany).
Secure a lost Apple device
When you mark your device as lost, it will be locked remotely with a passcode, keeping your information secure. This will also disable Apple Pay on the missing device. And you can display a custom message with your contact information on the missing device.
- Open the Find My app and choose the Devices tab or the Items tab
- Select your missing device or item
- Scroll down to Mark As Lost or Lost Mode and select Activate or Enable
- Follow the steps if you want your contact information to display on your missing device or item, or if you want to enter a custom message asking the finder of your missing device to contact you
- Select Activate